Jan 6, 2010

On the Road

Travel day is finally here. I think Heather is more excited about that fact than I am. I've been obsessing over the weather forecast for the past four days, trying to find one I like to make packing simpler. Needless to say, I didn't have much luck. The first ones from last Saturday were predicting some rain for the half and cool weather for the full. When Heather did laundry that evening, I asked only for my short sleeve shirt and one long sleeve shirt. By Sunday afternoon, the rain was gone from the forecast, and in its place were cold weather for both races (start temps below 30), so now I needed some clean tights and another long sleeve top. I did my own laundry this time and she still wasn't too pleased. When I finally got around to packing last night, I ended up throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the suitcase. I've got something for every possible condition:

short sleeve tech shirt
long sleeve tech shirt (x2)
compression shorts
tights (x2)
running vest (windproof front, mesh rear)
running jacket
hat and gloves
throwaway sweats (x2)
throwaway long sleeve t-shirt
running hat (for sun or rain)

Add in the Clif food (bars, goo, bloks), the post-race fleece, the 8-hour Tylenol, the Alleve, the Body Glide, the camera, and the two pairs of Asics, and I think I've way overpacked. Still, my plan makes sense in my
head. The start is 545am and sunrise is 720am. That means it won't really start to warm up until 830 or so. I plan to wear the tights, long sleeve tech, and vest on Saturday when I'm only out there running for 2-2.5 hours, and wear the shorts, short sleeve tech, and jacket for the 4.5-5 hours of the full. And yes, I am running with a camera. Everyone's advice for Goofy is to not try to set a PR or run your normal marathon pace. Rather, the thing to do is slow down and have fun, stopping along the way to take pictures with the 1000+ characters and cast members out there along the way. Makes sense to me. After a half the day before, there's no way I'd run a 4-hour marathon anyway, so I might as well enjoy being out there as much
as I can.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

MaineSport said...

I didn't know you were doing both. That's a big effort! Only suggestion is to perhaps skip the tights unless it's going to be below 35 half way through. Otherwise you'll warm up just fine and won't have as many potential friction spots. Also do a really good recovery (ice, get your feet up, etc) Saturday. Have a great time!

John said...

Good suggestion on the tights. I'm going to wear them for the half because it'll still be in the 30s when I finish, but will definitely leave them home for the full.