Jan 14, 2012

Zikreet Desert Run

I joined some of my friends from the running club this morning for a run in the desert near Zikreet. It was really nice to run along the sea instead of on the road for a change, although my legs got pretty tired pretty quickly. I forgot how much extra effort it takes to move in sand and dirt and climb over rocks. After a fast 15 miles yesterday, I decided 7.5 was good enough for today and opted to hop in Emile's car at the halfway point.

As we drove back to the start, we stopped for some picture-taking while we waited for the last runner to pass by. Pretty cool place. The caretaker is a guy from Sudan named Mohammed. He likes to have visitors and insisted we sit down for a glass of tea. He brought out a very hot pot of tea and some warm bread for us, which was quite a nice gesture. Sure made my first trip out in the desert a memorable one.




Hard to believe there's this much green in the desert

No comments: