Apr 2, 2011

Angie's Half Crazy Half Marathon

This post should really be titled "How Not to Train for a Half" since I spent the week before the race in Bermuda celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary by eating and drinking a lot and exercising very little. Getting in to the airport at 10pm the night before probably wasn't a great training tactic either. Truthfully, I hadn't really planned on running this race. I only decided to enter a few days before we left on vacation because I wanted to force myself to get some miles in before Davy Crockett next weekend.

This was one of the more interesting races I've ever run. It's organized by a woman named Angie who started it three years ago. Every year, she picks a different theme and a different charity for the race. This year, the theme was baseball and the charity was the local Little League. The shirts have a baseball look to them, the guest starter was a former Astros player, and the finisher's medal was designed to look like a baseball. Very well done all the way around. Next year's race is going to support local firefighters, and I'm interested to see what she does for that.

My race itself went very well given my lack of training and the heat and humidity that rolled in overnight. I finished in 2:10, not a bad time for me considering I was just out for a run and not trying to race. As the race went on, I certainly felt the extra pounds I gained in Bermuda. I felt very sluggish and lacked my normally strong finishing kick over the last two miles. Still, I accomplished what I wanted. I got some miles in and got myself back into the mental game for next weekend.

No comments: